Burnout is a real issue in many jobs these days. The American Psychological Association (APA) says it’s everywhere in 2022. The World Health Organization (WHO) reports that burnout is an occupational phenomenon caused by workplace stress. Surveys show 79% of the workforce say they’re experiencing the negative consequences of workplace stress, including emotional exhaustion and a lack of motivation.
If you’re one of these people, there is a way to refresh and recharge yourself. Here’s how to get motivated again for the second half of 2022.
How to Recharge for 2022
If you’re feeling exhausted and burnt out, something needs to change. The research shows that spending time outside exercising or even medication can help you increase your energy and decrease stress. If you’re spending too much time working and not enough time on yourself, you could change your daily habits to include:
- Taking a walk outside for 30 minutes at least once a day. You could do this right after lunch to get a break, or even around the midpoint in the afternoon for a chance of scenery. You’ll come back refreshed and with a renewed sense of focus.
- Eat healthier foods and stay hydrated for an energy boost.
- If you’re drinking too much caffeine, try cutting back and replacing it with some light stretches or exercise.
- Take a break from your screens. How much time do you spend in front of your phone and computer?
- Stop multitasking. You may think you’re great at it, but the studies show constant context switching is actually not good for you. The switching between tasks, emails, IMs, and all the other things you’re juggling can cause a kind of sensory overload that simply isn’t healthy. Try setting focused blocks of time throughout the day devoted to just one thing. For example, one focus block could be simply to clean out your messages from text, IM, or email. Another focus block could be heads down working on tasks. The key is that these two blocks should not cross. When you’re concentrating on tasks, turn off notifications from your email and IM. The same with your phone. Shut it down during that block of time.
- Twice a day (or more!) stand up and just concentrate on your breathing. All that oxygen stemming from some meditative deep breathing exercises will stimulate your brain.
- Get up from your chair. Studies show that sitting more than six hours a day shortens your life by about 19%. It’s easy, particularly if you work remotely on a computer, to spend the entire day being sedentary. Not only does this contribute to your weariness, but it also shortens your life. If you need to, set alarms on your computer that force you up and out of your office chair (or couch).
The entire idea of these suggestions is that you make real changes in how you work to improve your focus and alleviate the burnout you’ve been feeling during the first half of the year. If you make these changes and still feel unmotivated or overly stressed maybe the issues isn’t your behavior at all. It could be the reality that you simply need a new job. Stellar Staffing can help alleviate your stress by matching you with a better opportunity. Talk with our team today to find out what we can do to turn your 2022 around.